If you are unfamiliar with bread pudding, the easiest explanation for it is baked French toast. It is one of my father’s favourites so I have tried quite a few recipes. Over time I have taking parts of different recipes and made it my own creation. I stick to a pretty standard recipe for the base but will change up the sauce or toppings depending on what I am craving.
For those in the same Lactose Intolerant boat as me, I will put in parenthesize the alternative ingredients that I like to use.
- 1/2 loaf dried sourdough bread – chopped/ripped into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 cup melted butter (or margarine)
- 1 cup milk (or almond milk)
- 1 tbsp vanillla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 eggs
Optional toppings ( I would not recommend ussing all of them, just which ever you would like):
- 1/2 cup raisins – plumped in hot water
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 finely cut banana
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 almonds or walnuts
- Preheat your oven too 350 degrees
- In a large greased baking pan, distribute the bread pieces evenly
- in a large mixing bowl combine milk, eggs, vanillla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and butter
- If your preference is for your topppings to be mixed in, add them now to the liquid mixture
- Pour liquid mixtures over the bread
- Add any desired toppings to the top
- Bake for 45-50 minutes
Let set for 5 minutes before serving.
Can be served with ice cream, caramel sauce, or whipped cream (or cool whip).
Let me know what your favorite toppings are on your bread pudding!