The basement seems to be a place where things go to be forgotten. I know that for myself, I need to stop hoarding things their just on the slightest chance that I may need them someday. For example, I have a bad habit of collecting empty boxes in case I ever need them. The last time that I moved I had more empty boxes then I knew what to do with. How silly is that?I knew that the largest portion of what I will end up donating will be from this space. I also knew that I would need a garbage bag for all the things that aren’t worth donating.
I had so many old receipts for random things like a Tim Horton’s sandwich or gas. I also had empty packaging for iPods and souvenirs. I really have no idea why I held onto these things.
Here are a few things to focus on if you are clearing out junk in your basement:
- If it is in the basement, is it really useful to you?
- For seasonal items, if the season came and went without using it, do you really need to hold onto it?
- Is there someone else that you know who would make better use of it?
- How many do you have? How many do you need?
- If it’s broken, why keep it?
Now that I have sorted through my stuff I realize that I do need to spend more time down there, washing the floor and making it more organized. I was able to get rid of some stuff but I am sure that with my habits, come summer it will be ready for another round.